Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

IF I COULD CHANGE THE WORLD

 if as
This article was originally published in TW Magazine but after attending the burial of my friend’s dad, I felt it would be nice to share it here with you.
I was born with no supernatural powers but if I could change the world, maybe I would have made www.360nobs.com the only source of entertainment and lifestyle information; and MI & Waje as the biggest musicians out of Africa. Okay I kid, I kid NOT.
As a first child in a family of 5,growing up with my siblings was extra cool (Not the communication package).
We had the best parents anybody could ask for, the best toys (Not just Ludo) our parents could afford and it was okay to have eba for breakfast.
The 3 boys came before the 2 girls, so my sisters got so much love from their elder brothers and unlike other kids in the neighbourhood, we made sure everybody was on first name basis with each other with no “Brother Noble” or Uncle Madubuike “ attached.
Some of us attended same primary and secondary schools, which also provided us with the opportunity to look after one another and hand down textbooks.
The above and a lot of other things created a strong bond between us as a family.
I guess you are wondering what my family have to do with changing the world? I just needed to introduce the background to help you understand me better.
Here’s the thing, on the 25th of April 2011,our last child, Amara got married to her wonderful husband Ned and during the wedding I saw strains on grey hair on my father’s head and suddenly it dawned on that my dad is getting old and at some point, may not be as strong as he used to be and we require assistance to stand, eat and even use the bathroom.
Mum is not showing so much aging but very soon, she may also get old, require assistance to all the normal things that she taught how to do growing up.
If I could change the world, I’ll change the idea of people getting old and weak. I will make people stop aging at 50 to enable them enjoy all that they may have toiled for in their entire young age.
Imagine a world where our grandpas, grandmas, dads, mums, brothers and sisters at their oldest are 50 years and would not require support to eat, use the toilet, and spend months after months in hospital due to an illness refereed to as ‘old age sickness’.
I totally love my parents and siblings, and their idea of getting old saddens me.
Here’s what we all should do
Love our parents and family without holding back.
Treat them with respect and care
Not to be quick to anger in issues relating to our loved ones.
They say YOLO but this once will be worth it if you are surrounded with LOVE.
Rest in Peace Capt. Sam Phil-Ebosie